Las Coloradas is a very welcoming port for all those who visit it, this is due to its small size and its warm atmosphere, which allows you to feel as if you were in your own home. Las Coloradas is located on the northern coast of the Yucatan peninsula, and has a town of approximately 1,000 inhabitants. In addition to feeling at home, in Las Coloradas you will be able to observe the majority of the population that is dedicated to the salt industry and fishing; one of the activities with the highest priority in the place.
The truth is that the visits in Las Coloradas have become more frequent, since you can find a panorama of biodiversity thanks to its flora, fauna and its virgin beaches.
One of the things that most attracts the attention of many tourists is that the sea of Las Coloradas is dyed a very striking pink color due to the high concentration of microorganisms and the salt it has. Flamencos in Las Coloradas: in Yucatan you can count on a tourist route of the flamingos that cover this place.
- These birds can be seen in more detail in the pink waters of the salt mine. Immerse yourself in the beach: this activity is not recommended, since the beaches of Las Coloradas have a high amount of salt, which will probably make your skin dry.
- Although there are groups of “ecotourism” that can accompany you to live this experience, it is best to just visit it and enjoy its landscape, since many of these waters are private property; so the best thing is to avoid having a bad time and simply visit them to live a different day.
- Food: although the Las Coloradas do not have restaurants or public places to buy food, you can make friends with some of the inhabitants and maybe they can prepare something for you; There is nothing better than tasting a typical food of the area made by the hand of its inhabitants.
- To mobilize in this town you can do it walking or by car, since the place is very small and therefore there is no problem to go from one place to another.
- Photographs: if there is one more recommended place to take photos in mountains of salt is Las Coloradas, which has a pink lake and a salinera conducive to capture an unforgettable moment.
On the other hand, you can see on your right side the pink sea, here you can also stop and take pictures to never forget the place. You can also enjoy the sand dunes.
The main routes to Las Coloradas are: Río Lagartos, Timizín and Cancún-Valladolid.
- From Merida the distance is approximately 3 hours and 41 minutes. If you go by car you can take the Mérida-Motul road and follow the signs until you get to Tizimín, then just before entering the municipality you will see different signs that will point you to Río Lagartos, San Felipe and Las Coloradas.
- Finally, the time from that municipality to Las Coloradas is 3 hours. From Vallalodid the distance is 2 hours. You can take a taxi or a van that goes to Rio Lagartos and in less than 1 hour you will be there. From Cancun the distance is 3 hours.
- You can go on the Cancún-Valladolid highway to go north on the road to Tizimín and then to Río Lagartos.
If you have not had the opportunity to visit this place, it was time to do it, you will not regret it!